Stand Up! / Free DC was founded in 1997 to help the 670,000+ residents of our nation’s capital achieve full and equal citizenship rights. In 2016, we continue to advocate, educate, organize and mobilize locally, regionally and nationally for these rights through helping to make the District of Columbia (non-federal part) the 51st state!
Why you should give to Stand Up! / Free DC:
Stand Up! / Free DC is the only 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization formed to pursue DC statehood! Our dedication and passion has made a difference! Donations dated no later than December 31, 2016 are 100% tax deductible.
Why we pursue DC statehood:
Statehood is the only constitutional way to ensure that DC residents get equal democratic rights that cannot be taken away! Statehood ends “Taxation without Voting Representation” in the U.S. Congress; gives DC residents the right to control our own local budget, local laws and the right to appoint or elect our own local judges. Stand Up! / Free DC has never varied from this path. We have always kept the faith!
What we accomplished in 2016:
(1) Stand Up! / Free DC Ambassadors again took the DC statehood message to the Annual Congressional Black Caucus Foundation’s Legislative Conference, which attracted more than 9,000 participants from around the world. We distributed our DC Statehood Myth Busters brochure, educated attendees, obtained petition signatures and recruited more DC Statehood supporters.
(2) We worked with the members of the New Columbia Statehood Commission, the mayor and the DC Council to achieve needed changes in the Constitution of the State of Washington, DC. Stand Up! Free DC’s work helped result in 86% of DC voters approving the November 8, 2016 ballot advisory Referendum B to make DC a state!
(3) We worked with the DC Host Committee recruit more than 100 volunteers who distributed thousands of customized DC Statehood educational literature to the thousands of people who traveled to the National Mall for the grand opening of the National Museum of African American History and Culture on September 24, 2016.
(4) We collaborated with the Center for Study for Responsive Law, the Historical Society of Washington, DC, Howard University, People Demanding Action, the American Friends Service Committee Human Rights programs, United Black Fund, and the NAACP, among other organizations. Our educational booth at the 96th Annual Conference of the National Council for Social Studies played a major role in NCSS delegates’ unanimous passage in support of teaching a DC Statehood curriculum nationwide. Stand Up! Free DC continues to conduct teach-ins at local libraries, schools and community events; and
(5) We spread our DC statehood message marching in the annual Martin Luther King Jr. Peace Walk/Parade, the DC Emancipation Day Parade, the Palisades Citizens’ Association’s July 4th Parade and presented at various educational forums. We also worked with award-wining College Art Association of Ohio artist on an educational walk for DC Statehood televised globally with periscope and Stand Up! – Free DC continues to educate through regular radio appearances, newspaper articles and social media.
FREE DC! Statehood NOW!
Please give to Stand Up! / Free DC Or make your check payable to:
Stand Up! for Democracy; mail to Dorothy Height Station, PO Box 2152, Washington, DC 20013-2152
You can help Stand Up! / Free DC continue our important work promoting DC statehood!
*Donations dated no later than December 31, 2016 are 100% tax deductible.
Thank you and Happy Holidays!